Thousands remain in Patum Temple and the National Police Headquarters

At around 20.20 pm., a source from inside Patumwanaram temple reported that there were more than 1,000 protesters inside the temple. After the shooting and bombing ended at around 19.00, the temple returned to calm. The monks prepared rice porridge for the protesters but there was not enough food and water. The area was affected by thick smoke from the fire at Central World. Mobile phone signals were cut off from time to time.

In the evening, 2 teenagers were shot in front of the temple and were taken inside the temple for medical care. One of them was shot in the leg. Their whereabouts are unknown at present. There were another 3-4 injured. The protesters claimed that they were shot from a high angle. All the protesters had then moved from the temple entrance area to the monks’ residential area at the back of the temple for safety. There were 5-6 foreign journalists in the compound. Mark MacKinnon, a foreign journalist left inside the temple, twitted in the past two hours that there were injured people in the temple. The rescue team could not get access to the temple because of gunfire outside. 

The source gave an account of rumours and mistrust floating around the protesters. They believed that there were PAD and government informants among them. There was also a disagreement between those who want to flee through the back entrance of the temple and those believing it is safer to remain inside. The monks warned the men not to wear black shirts for their own safety.

One protester reported that there were around 2,000 protesters in the Royal Thai Police headquarters. Most of them were children, women and the elderly from the north and northeast. They fled explosions and clashes at Ratchaprasong intersection and climbed over the Police headquarters gate to hide inside. No one was injured. Around 50 police officers were taking care of them. The protesters were staying in the gymnasium and had been given instant noodles and water by the police. The police informed them that the police will arrange transportation for them to the bus station or their hometown tomorrow. However, most of the protesters were worried about their safety.

In the afternoon, around 300-400 protesters who left the protest site before the clashes reported to the government at Supachalasai stadium and got into buses provided by the government. Many protesters, however, were still in hiding in the Ratchaprasong area because there was constant shooting and bombing.




Since 2007, Prachatai English has been covering underreported issues in Thailand, especially about democratization and human rights, despite the risk and pressure from the law and the authorities. However, with only 2 full-time reporters and increasing annual operating costs, keeping our work going is a challenge. Your support will ensure we stay a professional media source and be able to expand our team to meet the challenges and deliver timely and in-depth reporting.

• Simple steps to support Prachatai English

1. Bank transfer to account “โครงการหนังสือพิมพ์อินเทอร์เน็ต ประชาไท” or “Prachatai Online Newspaper” 091-0-21689-4, Krungthai Bank

2. Or, Transfer money via Paypal, to e-mail address:, please leave a comment on the transaction as “For Prachatai English”