Twins temporarily released after surrendering to police

On 1 March, Suphot and Suphat Silarat, 30, turned themselves in to Chanasongkhram police, admitting that they had assaulted Worachet Pakeerut, a law lecturer and core leader of the Nitirat group, at Thammasat University on the previous day.

They were charged with collaborating to commit a premeditated attack, causing physical and mental injuries.

Since they turned themselves in to police, they were temporarily released.  The police had to wait for medical reports on Worachet’s injuries before bringing the two suspects to court.

After checking with security cameras at the university after the incident on 29 Feb, the police sent a team to lie in wait for the suspects in front of their house in Thanyaburi District in Pathum Thani, but the suspects did not return home.

According to the police team, the father of the suspects said that Worachet deserved it and his sons were radicals.

After reporting to the police, the suspects were brought to the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

During a press conference, Pol Lt Gen Winai Thongsong, Metropolitan Police Commander, said that the suspects had confessed to police that they did what they did because of differing views.

When reporters asked whether they had been hired by anybody, the police commander said no.  He had asked the suspects whether they belonged to any groups or had been involved in any political activities, and he was told that they did not belong to any group, and did not like either the yellows or reds, he said.

When given a chance to question the suspects directly, the reporters asked why they had attacked the law lecturer.  Suphat said that they were dissatisfied.

Asked how they had planned the attack, he said that they disagreed with Nitirat which is running a campaign on Article 112.

Asked whether they had anything to say, he said ‘[I] want to kick reporters’ causing Pol Lt Gen Winai to interrupt and say that was enough.

The reporters continued to ask what they did for a living, and Suphot said that they sold clothes and perfumes.  Pol Lt Gen Winai repeated that that was enough, otherwise they would quarrel.

If found guilty, the two suspects are faced with a penalty of imprisonment of up to three years and/or a fine of up to 6,000 baht.

According to Matichon, the twins work as security guards at a pub in Pathum Thani.  Suphat has been charged with committing physical attacks at several police precincts in northern Bangkok and Pathum Thani.

Suphot has a Facebook account under his real name.  His cyber activities mostly are about various online games, and no political comments are found.

In his photo section, there are pictures of guns and gun testing. He is also a fan of heavy metal music.

Photos from Matichon


Since 2007, Prachatai English has been covering underreported issues in Thailand, especially about democratization and human rights, despite the risk and pressure from the law and the authorities. However, with only 2 full-time reporters and increasing annual operating costs, keeping our work going is a challenge. Your support will ensure we stay a professional media source and be able to expand our team to meet the challenges and deliver timely and in-depth reporting.

• Simple steps to support Prachatai English

1. Bank transfer to account “โครงการหนังสือพิมพ์อินเทอร์เน็ต ประชาไท” or “Prachatai Online Newspaper” 091-0-21689-4, Krungthai Bank

2. Or, Transfer money via Paypal, to e-mail address:, please leave a comment on the transaction as “For Prachatai English”