Submitted on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 - 02:47 PM
MCOT reported on Saturday that the Ministry of Education plans to implement junta leader Gen.Prayuth Chan-ocha’s 12 main Thai values into the education reform roadmap for the years 2015-2021.
The roadmap is currently open for public opinion before being proposed to the National Reform Council in August.
Suthasri Wongsaman, Permanent-Secretary of the Education Ministry, said that the Ministry had already started revising history and civic duties in order to make students learn about the duty of Thais, discipline, morality and patriotism. The new curriculum will be implemented in the second semester of the 2014 school year.
She said the Ministry would also “strengthen” the curriculum for the boy/girl scouts and Red Cross Youth.
Suthasri said that the NCPO policy to specify the 12 main Thai values is a good idea since all government agencies will have same direction in developing human resources.
Gen. Prayuth said during his televised speech on Friday that the 12 main values according to NCPO policy are as follows:
1. Love for the nation, religions and monarchy
2. Honesty, patience and good intention for the public
3. Gratitude to parents, guardians and teachers
4. Perseverance in learning
5. Conservation of Thai culture
6. Morality and sharing with others
7. Correctly understanding democracy with the monarchy as head of the state
8. Discipline and respect for the law and elders
9. Awareness in thinking and doing things, and following the guidance of His Majesty the King
10. Living by the sufficiency economy philosophy guided by His Majesty the King
11. Physical and mental strength against greed
12. Concern about the public and national good more than self-interest.