Military court denies bail of court bombing suspect reportedly tortured by military

The military court rejected the bail request of a criminal court bombing suspect who was allegedly tortured by the police under custody.

Bangkok’s military court on Monday denied a bail request submitted by Sansern Sriounruen, 54, one of the four criminal court bombing suspects who were reportedly tortured under military detention in early March.  

The suspect submitted 800,000 baht as bail (24,600 USD). However, the court denied bail, citing the severity of the case and flight risk.

According to Thai Lawyers for Human Rights (TLHR), Sansern Sriounruen and three other suspects, Chanwit Chariyanukul, Norapat Luephon, and Wichai Yusuk, were allegedly tortured after their arrest under military custody from 9-15 March 2015.

“The four suspects had been subjected to torture including being hit, punched and kicked in the head, chest and back and threatened with assault in order to extract information from them,” said TLHR. “In addition, some suspects were electrocuted, leaving visible marks on their skin while being held in custody under martial law between 9 and 15 March 2015.”

Last week, Sansern told Prachatai that he was slapped on the face, punched on the base on the sternum and in the ribs, trampled on, and electrocuted on his thighs about 40 times.

On the contrary, Col Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the junta’s National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), stated last week that the allegations of torture by the four suspects are false. He said that the allegations are aimed at ruining the credibility of the authorities.