Activist Sirawith attacked in broad daylight

Activist Sirawith “Ja New” Serithiwat was assaulted earlier this morning (28 June), said Nuttaa Mahattana.

Source: Matichon Online

Nuttaa said that he was attacked around 11.30 near the entrance to the street where he lives – a crowded area with a lot of witnesses who subsequently contacted his mother and called an ambulance. One of the witnesses also told his mother that he was losing consciousness.

Matichon Online reported that Sirawith was attacked by a group of four men in helmets armed with baseball bats, and Nuttaa said that Sirawith told his mother last night that he is being followed.

This is the second time Sirawith has been assaulted, and the latest in a string of attacks against activists in recent months. On the night of 2 June, Sirawith was attacked at Ratchada Soi 7, near The Street department store by a group of 5 people, who assaulted him with kicks and a wooden stick. He sustained minor injuries to his shoulder, head, and face.

Sirawith was at first sent to Navamin Hospital. His mother said that he sustained major injuries to his head, and that he is conscious, but unresponsive and unable to speak. 

At 14.00, Sirawith's mother said that, in addition to his head injuries, he has a broken nose and eye socket. He was having difficulty breathing and was on oxygen, but MRI scans found no brain haemorrhage. Subsequent doctor's examination also found that Sirawith is unable to see with his right eye.

Sirawith has now been transferred to the Mission Hospital, where he has medical coverage. He will require further facial surgeries. 

Update 29 June 2019:

At today’s concert at the 14 October 1973 Memorial on Ratchadamnoen Road, in which Sirawith previously planned to take part, the presenter told the crowd that Sirawith’s condition has improved. While he is still in intensive care, he is now fully conscious and responsive. He is able to speak and does not suffer any memory loss.

At 20.00, it was reported that he is to be transferred to Ramathibodi Hospital, where he will be able to see an expert ophthalmologist for his eye injury. Previous doctor’s examination found that he was not hit directly in the eye, but suffered fractures to his eye socket. After the doctor drained the congested blood from that area, he is starting to be able to see with his injured eye.

This is a developing story. Please check back later for updates.


Since 2007, Prachatai English has been covering underreported issues in Thailand, especially about democratization and human rights, despite the risk and pressure from the law and the authorities. However, with only 2 full-time reporters and increasing annual operating costs, keeping our work going is a challenge. Your support will ensure we stay a professional media source and be able to expand our team to meet the challenges and deliver timely and in-depth reporting.

• Simple steps to support Prachatai English

1. Bank transfer to account “โครงการหนังสือพิมพ์อินเทอร์เน็ต ประชาไท” or “Prachatai Online Newspaper” 091-0-21689-4, Krungthai Bank

2. Or, Transfer money via Paypal, to e-mail address:, please leave a comment on the transaction as “For Prachatai English”